Do you ever randomly crave a food you have not eaten in a long time? I do! This week, it was for spaghetti and meatballs. I have neither made it nor eaten spaghetti since my trip to Europe in 2015 because, let’s face it, pasta in the U.S. does not do justice to authentic, Italian pasta.
I have been spoiled with my family’s home-raised meat products. I’m fortunate to have my roots in agriculture because I understand first hand how cattle are raised for food production. Even this little guy has a bigger purpose in his lifetime. He still gets to enjoy a happy, healthy life on the farm too.
The last time I was home at my parent’s farm in northwest Ohio, they insisted I take home some ground beef. So, I stuffed it in the freezer, trying to decide what to make with it. Well, here you have it, folks. That non-GMO corn-fed, no antibiotic or hormones added, local beef went to good use.
I like simple recipes. This one, I added in some additional ingredients for the meatballs to have a unified consistency with healthy, clean ingredients.
You will notice I used gluten free pasta. There are a few reasons behind this.
- It is lower in total calories per serving than regular pasta.
- My body digested rice-based carbs better than wheat-based or corn-based.
- It was on sale (winning!).
I also found that Tomato Basil pasta sauce at Aldi’s and was pretty impressed with the simple ingredients, less sodium and NO ADDED SUGAR. Hallelujah!
If you like to read print, the recipe is stated below. I also compiled a short YouTube video that shows the steps for more visual learners.
Caroline’s Healthy Beef Meatballs
Macronutrients for 1 1-ounce meatball (recipe yields 26):
42 calories/4.3g protein/0.3g carbs/2.3g fat
A healthy, simple recipe filled with nutrients the family is sure to enjoy!
Meatball Ingredients, not including gluten free pasta and healthy sauce
- 1.5 pounds ground beef – not 100% sure but I guess 85% lean
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 slice Ezekiel bread – to make bread crumbs
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to broil (mine was at 500 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Unthaw ground beef and place into large bowl.
- Using hands, combine all ingredients in bowl. See video on specific steps to mincing garlic and adding ingredients.
- Broil in oven about 15 minutes or until browned well.
Macronutrients for 1 serving including 4 ounces meatballs, 2 ounces pasta and 1/2 cup sauce:
402 calories/23g protein/52g carbs/10g fat
Let me know what you think! As always, it is cool to find a local farm near you to source your meats or produce. If you want to learn more about farming, all you have to do is ask! People in agriculture are more than willing to share.