If you’ve read through the past nine articles, it might seem like eating healthy and living a more simple lifestyle can be stressful, complicated or boring. This is not the case, nor should it ever be! What is life if we are not enjoying it?
This last installment of my series is focused on the most important part of learning new foods, creating healthy habits and experiences with loved ones.
Make it FUN.
I am turning 25-years-old in about two weeks. For about three quarters of my life, I have lived pretty seriously. I never drank until going to college. I never really disobeyed rules (besides speed limits here and there). I never placed an emphasis on having fun.
That has been one of my biggest learning curves up to now. We must make time and create flexibility for fun.
Whether or not you are in a relationship, creating this balance is a necessary priority. If not, the following negative results can happen:
- Increased stress
- Decreased motivation
- Narrowed mindset
- Binge eating or undereating
- Inconsistent sleep habits
- All work and no play
Do you believe the point of life is to enjoy it? I’m finally making that a priority. I just went with my boyfriend to a boat party to celebrate someone’s birthday. The gentleman happens to be in his mid-50s. And he loves life! He works hard but balances time for fun and health also.
You can do this too. David and I knew we would be attending this party and planned most of our meals that day and both enjoyed a few drinks. We have since gotten back on track with healthy, nutrient-dense, macro-friendly foods. It can be done. And I want you to feel confident that you and your loved ones can do it too!
With that being said, make time to have fun and make healthy habits a fun experience. Start with setting and introducing your goal. Schedule routines and have conversations with loved ones. Meal prep, try new foods, flavors and services. Set a dirty foods date and snack smart. With all these steps, you’re headed down a path of healthy foods and healthy relationships! Let me know if I can ever help you and your loved ones with goal planning, meal recommendations or personal coaching.
And now, here is a recipe for flexibility and fun!
Nutty Cream of Rice with Strawberries
Ingredients for one serving
- 1/4 c dry cream of rice
- 1 scoop Performix Iridium Native ISO Whey in Peanut Butter Commander flavor
- 1 Tbsp natural almond butter
- 1/2 c strawberries
- Cook cream of rice as directed on box. I remove and stir and add a little extra water. This makes it easier to stir in protein.
- Mix in one scoop of whey. Performix flavor is amazing and a high quality brand.
- Now, add your almond butter and strawberries. The prettier you decorate, the more satisfying the flavor. Trader Joes is my favorite and is very affordable. The raw almond butter is very creamy.
- Pro tip: if you aren’t eating for breakfast, put in the freezer for 15 minutes for more of a protein “pudding” consistency.