Crap… I mean, I am having a hard time doing that too on a consistent basis. And I had to use that for my stool sample to submit my gut health test.
Maybe it’s just in my head. Or I don’t really have an issue. There is one thing showing evidence of an issue: my skin.
Did you know your skin health is often directly correlated to your gut health? Yeah, I did not either until about 6 months ago. I typically eat a “clean” diet, sort of speak. Mostly whole foods, some protein shakes and protein bars, the occasional pasta or bread, typically whole wheat based, as well as coffee, preworkout supplements and some homemade desserts, not low in sugar. I noticed my skin started to get acne, as well as uneven pigmentation. You may have seen a few blog posts back when I talked about my greens that I drink each day as I am working to balance my gut. Well, that is not the only thing I’m doing and there are a few reasons for that.
- Gut healing takes more than just probiotics.
- Gut health is connected to the brain. If you are stressed, depressed, anxious, all of the above or more, that can affect your gut and bile production. You may hear the gut referred to as the “second brain”.
- It can take a minimum of 6 months before your gut will reach its homeostasis, balanced environment it was supposed to be in.
So, I decided to take matters into my hands and get a BIOHM Gut Report Kit. (Code CAROLINE gets you 10% off at checkout by the way). The process was simple, clearly written on the packaging to collect my stool sample and home and mail it in. In six weeks, I received my comprehensive results by email. Turns out, my gut health is rated a 2/10, meaning very poor.
Most of it was a lack of good bacteria in the gut. This can be caused from a few factors include any over the counter medications or antibiotics (which thankfully I don’t take any), lack of diversity in my diet and stress internally and externally on the body. All that I can do is listen to their recommendations and do my best to abide by a healthy lifestyle with my food, stress mitigation and happiness! Here are the methods I have been actively practicing with 100% follow through.
Constant daily practices
- Drinking at least 1 gallon of water per day
- Cut all caffeine (coffee, tea and preworkout supplements) for 3 weeks
- Creating system for sleep and wake up routines, including reading, meditation and stretching
- Increase fiber intake
- Increase vegetable intake to about 6 cups per day
- Eating clean protein sources, minimizing whey protein to 1-2 servings per day
New practices for the gut
- Taking BIOHM prebiotic and probiotic daily
- Drinking BIOHM greens daily
- Apple cider vinegar with water before heavier carb meals for digestive help
- HCL capsules 2x per day
- Digestive enzymes with 2 largest meals of the day
- Full day cleanse 2x per month
- Supplementing DGL and Marshmallow Root
- Making homemade bone broth and drinking 1x per day
These are the current methods that I’m going to try the next 2-4 weeks. This is just the midpoint in my gut health journey! I am also getting ready for a bodybuilding competition prep to start and want to ensure my gut is as healthy as possible before I start limiting foods and increasing stress load on my body.
What’s something that has worked for you or you’ve been interested to try? I’m going to share this journey through here and some upcoming YouTube videos in my prep series. Go follow to make sure you don’t miss out!