PIZZA on PREP?!?! YES, I DID!
The past week has been CRAZY for me! Just a few variables.
- I had my first full week in a new corporate job. I am doing staffing/recruiting in healthcare and it is just a whole new world. But I’m really excited about it!
- I got sick after coming home from the Arnold… boo! With that, has come sleepiness, aches and pains and lots of whining and moaning.
- I have increased cardio to 5 days a week for 50 minutes fasted.
- My calories have decreased to about 1800 per day
- ANNNNNND I’m 9 weeks out from a show, which I have just changed which one I’ll be doing!
With all this going on, I’ve had one craving: pizza. Now, before you run up saying “OMG you are promoting pizza?!?!” no. I am just saying that a food I’ve missed making and having a healthy option of is pizza. Like, my own homemade crusted pizza. And I made one. Here are a few reasons why:
- I was craving it
- I made it myself
- The ingredients were “prep friendly” and the recipe fit my macros
- It was an intermittent fast day & my total calories were lower
- It helped me avoid cheating on my diet & reaching my goals
ANNNNND you can too. Believe me, it’s tough sometimes. But if you have a big goal, only you hold yourself back or propel yourself forwards. Head over to YouTube at this direct linkh and subscribe to Strong Sweet Caroline to see it and learn some tips on how I made it. Recipe is also below.
Low Carb High Protein Pizza Crust & Toppings
This was the first time I actually made the crust and cooked the pizza toppings completely separate. And guess what? It turned out AMAZING! I start with the crust, as that is the most important part, holding it all together.
- 1 whole egg
- 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 1/3 cup fat free feta cheese
- 1 cup raw spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten free flour, I used mostly almond flour with about 1 Tbsp being coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp arrowroot starch
- Dash of sea salt
- Dash of black pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano
Toppings, modify as you see fit:
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Fresh basil
- More feta cheese
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 slices Turkey bacon
- Broccoli sprouts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper. This is a MUST for this recipe, as the dough will stick… to everything 😉
- Using a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly
- Batter will be very wet. This is fine! It will create a fluffy dough consistency
- Using a spatula, scrape the bowl and pour onto the pan and spread into a square or circle
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until edges become slightly browned and it is firm to the touch
- While the crust is in the oven, cook toppings on the side. You will combine with the crust after it is baked.
- Place toppings on pizza crust and place back in the oven on BROIL setting to blend together if you choose. No more than 5 minutes should do.
See the pizza explanation here and enjoy!